- Barry Deutsch, Impact Hiring Solutions
- Beverly Flaxington, Principal, The Collaborative
- Christine Alexander, AFL Global
- Debra Puryear, AD Talent Inc.
- Nadia Keshavjee, Business for Social Responsibility
- Dr. Sam Hunter, Department of Psychology, Pennsylvania State University
- Dr. Wendell Williams, Managing Director, ScientificSelection
- Poor hiring practices are common and costly. More than two-thirds of hiring managers have made hiring decisions they came to regret. One study by REC calculated that the cost of a single bad hiring decision at the middle management level was US$175,000.
- Recruiters know. HR is accountable for quality of hire. They know that a well-structured interview process can improve the quality of hire and help organizations identify creative candidates.
- Hiring managers need training. Unfortunately, nearly 45% of talent acquisition specialists said their hiring managers were not strong interviewers. McLean & Company data shows that 57% of organizations did not consider their assessment and selection processes highly effective.
- There are no shortcuts to a quality hire. A structured interview process is the most reliable way to find top talent.
- Stop asking candidates questions that don’t help predict the type of employee they will be. Carefully define the kind of candidate you want, ask questions that matter, and know what counts as a good answer.
Impact and Result
Implement a well-structured interview process to help hiring managers:
- Improve the quality of hire
- Reduce the cost of bad hires
- Identify candidates with strong creative processing skills
- Improve the candidate experience
1. Train managers on competency-based selection and interviewing skills
Improve assessment to hire better candidates.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Train Managers on Competency-Based Selection and Interviewing Skills
- Hold training sessions for managers on competency-based selection and interviewing skills.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Customized McLean & Company’s Manager Training Deck to facilitate manager training sessions.
Make the case to managers.
- Managers understand the impact and outcomes of effective hiring practices.
Outline the competency-based behavioral interview method.
- Managers understand how to select competency-based interview questions.
Train managers to conduct competency-based behavioral interviews through practice.
- Participants fine tune their interviewing skillset through rounds of role playing.