- Remote sales team members must rely upon collaboration technology to communicate and collaborate.
- Management practices and approaches that work face-to-face do not always translate effectively in the context of a remote sales team.
- Managers cannot rely upon spontaneous social interactions that happen organically to build meaningful and trusting relationships. Space, time, and extra effort need to be made for this to happen.
- Loneliness and feeling disconnected and isolated from the organization are common challenges for remote workers. Left unaddressed, these feelings can result in poor performance and short tenure.
- Effective communication is critical to the successful management of a remote sales team. Managers must make sure that the process and expectations around communication and collaboration are established, understood, and followed by all team members.
- One of the most important things managers can do for their remote sales reps is help them foster a network of support within the organization. Having a network of support can be critical to their success. It not only helps them as they enter a new role to become proficient quicker but also provides them with ongoing connection to the organization, enabling them to feel part of a team.
- It is critical to instill a mindset of accountability with remote sales employees, as managers do not have a view into their daily activities. Building trust and empowering remote employees is key to fostering their accountability.
Impact and Result
- Establish a solid foundation for managing remote sales teams by setting clear expectations at the organizational, team, and individual levels.
- Create a sales management cadence, which includes scheduling regular interactions related to team building, individual performance, and development to significantly impact these employees’ engagement and productivity.
- Taking the time to get to know your remote employees personally goes a long way toward building a trusting relationship, combatting the issue of loneliness, and gaining their commitment to the organization and team.
This content is exclusive to members.
Get instant access by signing up!