- Difficult conversations can be hard to approach as they cover workplace conflicts and topics such as delivering bad news, apologizing, asking for something, and discussing sensitive subjects.
- Managers, like the rest of employees, avoid these difficult conversations because they do not have the confidence, experience, or methodology to approach them effectively.
- When managers avoid difficult conversations they negatively impact employee productivity and engagement, take up time from the human resources department, and can cost the organization thousands of dollars.
- When managers avoid difficult conversations, they are not fully carrying out their role as an employee with people responsibilities who is required to communicate to get things done.
- Getting managers to start facing difficult conversations and handling them effectively starts off with training and continues after the session is over with support from peers, HR, and the organization.
- The McLean & Company Difficult Conversations EASE Framework can help managers through a challenging conversation by guiding them through the appropriate pre-work, engaging the employee in conversation, absorbing the employee’s point of view, sharing their own perspective, and ending the conversation with actionable next steps and follow-up.
Impact and Result
- Decrease managers’ avoidance of difficult conversations and get them to stop freezing and giving in when it comes time to face them.
- Increase managers' success rate with handling a difficult conversation.
- Free up time for HR that can be spent on more value-added activities that positively impact the organization.
Workshop: Train Managers to Master Difficult Conversations
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Train Managers to Master Difficult Conversations
- Train managers on how to handle difficult conversations with employees.
- Allow managers to practice difficult conversations skills and techniques.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of how to address a difficult conversation.
Review and customize the manager training deck and tools.
- Customized manager training presentation and materials.
Facilitate difficult conversations training.
- Facilitated training session.