- Diversity & inclusion (D&I) is complex and heavily nuanced. This means that every D&I strategy needs to be based on the specific D&I challenges the organization faces.
- D&I is often siloed under HR, but everyone has a role to play as allies, leaders, and champions when it comes to creating an organization that has diverse groups of employees, is equitable, and is inclusive. However, it is not always clear how everyone participates in creating a diverse and inclusive organization.
- Diversity & inclusion is a continuum – an ongoing journey of unlearning and learning the deeply rooted dogmas that guide the way organizations operate.
- The D&I strategy is a mechanism through which systemic issues and the ingrained way things are done at organizations can be challenged and changed.
- Creating a scaled and purposeful strategy, upheld by strategic pillars, and customized D&I initiatives kick-starts the journey.
Impact and Result
- Organizations must create a D&I strategy that is based on their specific organizational D&I challenges. Assess the current state of D&I through organizational data and focus groups, not based on current trends and fads in D&I training.
- With a D&I strategy project team, identify a clear purpose for D&I that is upheld by defined strategic pillars, carried out by specific D&I initiatives (e.g. inclusive leadership behavior training, implementing sponsorship programs, expanding campus recruitment strategies to more diverse schools), and overseen by a governance model.
- Implement D&I across the organization with initiatives that support all parts of the employee lifecycle.
This guided implementation is a seven call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Conduct a current state assessment
Call #1 - Discuss the process to identify the D&I strategy project team and review the D&I assessment.
Call #2 - Plan how the organization will assess the current state by identifying data and conducting focus groups.
Guided Implementation #2 - Determine the purpose of D&I
Call #1 - Review SWOT analysis and draft overarching purpose of D&I.
Call #2 - Define the organization’s strategic pillars and determine how goals/metrics will be measured.
Guided Implementation #3 - Determine the governance model and select D&I initiatives
Call #1 - Review recommended governance model and discuss requirements.
Call #2 - Discuss and prioritize appropriate initiatives.
Guided Implementation #4 - Plan to launch the D&I strategy
Call #1 - Review the plan to execute on D&I.
Innovation Through Diversity & Inclusion
You must be enrolled in this course to play this video
- Title: Innovation Through Diversity & Inclusion
- Number of Course Modules: 5
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Define a five-step process for creating an effective diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy to improve inclusiveness throughout the employee lifecycle and all areas of the organization.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Explain why inclusion is a key component of an effective diversity strategy.
- Recruit a D&I Steering Committee and involve them in setting the vision, goals, and overall strategy around D&I.
- Create a culture of D&I using employee training and marketing materials that reflect D&I principles, and ensure an inclusive environment.
- Use metrics to track progress on D&I goals.
1 CPD hour per course.
Each course is valid for 1 PDC for the SHRM-CP℠ or SHRM-SCP℠.
The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.