- Expectations are rapidly changing about how, and how often, employees should be recognized.
- Rewards and recognition programs are often too focused on the tangible reward element, ignoring the more important, but intangible, recognition element.
- Recognition programs are created in an ad hoc manner that does not align with organizational or individual needs.
- Recognition is impactful independent of rewards (i.e. items with a monetary value), but rewarding employees without proper recognition can be counterproductive. Put recognition first and use rewards as a way to amplify its effectiveness.
Impact and Result
- Design a recognition program with the three keys to recognition in mind: customization, alignment, and transparency.
- Ask employees how they want to be recognized. Customization will make the program more effective.
- Discover key strategic and cultural behaviors that the organization wants to drive, and align recognition criteria with these behaviors.
- Create transparency with a fair and open recognition selection process.
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Learners will be able to identify the three keys to building an effective recognition program and how they impact the design and rollout of a recognition program.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the three keys to recognition.
- Navigate the decision points in designing a formal or day-to-day recognition program.
- Design a rollout plan that sustains the program past launch.
Workshop: Ingrain and Sustain Recognition
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Gather Feedback on Recognition
- Make the case for a sustainable recognition program.
- Gather feedback from employees on what they would like to see from a recognition program.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Use McLean & Company’s process to build a recognition program.
- Uncover employee needs and wants for recognition.
Conduct focus groups.
- Focus Group Guide
- Focus group trends and insights
Module 2: Design a Customized Recognition Program
- Build a recognition program aligned with organizational strategy and culture.
- Design recognition initiatives that target key behaviors.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Identify behaviors to be recognized.
- Establish program structure and selection criteria.
- Select appropriate types of recognition.
- Document a communication plan.
Develop insights from focus groups and/or survey results.
- Insights gathered
Select recognition criteria.
- Recognition criteria selected
Define the structure of the program.
- Program structure designed
Design the formal recognition process (optional).
Design the day-to-day recognition process.
- Recognition Program Guide
Build a rollout and action plan.
- HR Action & Communication Plan
Develop a sustainment plan.