- Few HR departments enable their organization’s innovation efforts, resulting in a missed opportunity to be a strategic partner and accelerate results.
- There are different types of innovation, and different cultural drivers are critical for each type of innovation. Understanding the type(s) of innovation an organization is using allows HR to determine where to focus their efforts.
- Enabling innovation is a balancing act. Take the time to understand the type(s) your organization is using to focus HR’s resources where they will have the biggest impact.
Impact and Result
- Engage stakeholders to understand the organization’s innovation goals and type(s), and gain buy-in for HR’s involvement.
- Identify the drivers that need to be improved and maintained to enable the organization’s innovation type(s).
- Plan to align HR programs to reinforce prioritized drivers.
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Understand what innovation is and why having an innovative culture is important. Identify the current state of innovation, key innovation drivers, and how HR can embed behaviors that reinforce a culture of innovation within the organization.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the types of innovation that best suit the organization.
- Clarify innovation goals for the organization and identify innovation drivers.
- Create a plan to embed behaviors that support innovation and collaboration in the organization.
- Select solutions to improve innovation and collaboration.
Workshop: Enable Innovation Through Culture
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Clarify Your Organization’s Innovation Goals and Type(s)
- Clarify the organization’s innovation goals.
- Identify the innovation type(s).
Key Benefits Achieved
- Organizational goals for innovation understood.
- Innovation type(s) identified.
Identify why innovation is a priority.
Review the innovation inventory.
- Innovation inventory appraised.
Assess specificity of innovation goals.
- Innovation goals confirmed.
Assess organizational resources required.
- Organizational resources assessed and confirmed.
Confirm the innovation type(s).
- Innovation type(s) confirmed.
Module 2: Identify the Innovation Drivers HR Needs to Enable
- Recognize the drivers of a culture of innovation.
- Assess the organization and HR’s alignment to the drivers.
- Prioritize drivers and define related behaviors.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Alignment to innovation drivers assessed.
- Drivers prioritized and related behaviors defined.
Assess current state to identify the right innovation drivers.
Review assessment results.
- Innovation drivers assessed
Prioritize innovation drivers for HR to improve and maintain.
- Priority drivers identified for HR
Articulate behaviors for priority innovation drivers.
- Behaviors for priority innovation drivers defined.
Module 3: Align HR Programs to Innovation Drivers
- Create a high-level action plan to align HR programs to prioritized drivers.
- Establish metrics to measure success.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Alignment action plan developed.
- Success measures set.
Assess HR program effectiveness at enabling drivers (by HR function).
- HR program effectiveness evaluated.
Brainstorm tactics to enable prioritized drivers (by HR function).
- Tactics to enable prioritized drivers suggested.
Create a high-level action plan for each HR function.
- HR function action plans to enable innovation drivers.
Set metrics to track progress.
- Success metrics.