- Mergers and acquisitions (M&As) are complex arrangements that have significant business and people implications for both the organization being purchased and the purchasing organization.
- HR is not always involved in M&As from the beginning and does not always have the resources to ensure they can assess and plan for the people impacts before, during, and after the M&A is complete.
Need Extra Help?
Speak With An Analyst.
- Get on-demand project support
- Get advice, coaching, and insight at key project milestones
- Go through a Guided Implementation to help you get through your project
- HR needs to work closely with the M&A Team (if they aren’t already a part of it) and Legal throughout the M&A process to determine the appropriate HR-related activities and timing. Each organization and M&A is unique, requiring collaboration to ensure liabilities, costs, and potential problems are not missed.
- There are risks to involving HR late in the M&A process. Having insufficient time to complete due diligence, plan for implementation, and implement the integration plan can provoke significant risks such as culture clashes, productivity tips, and loss of talent.
Impact and Result
- Use an M&A checklist to help gather all the necessary people-related information to avoid unintended negative consequences such as unforeseen financial issues, cultural integration issues, labor disputes, and even litigation.