- Communicating effectively is even more challenging in today's operating environment. Business ‒ and the world of work ‒ is in a state of flux, and cutting through the noise is increasingly difficult.
- While internal communications are considered critical, efforts are not always strategic. Without effective communication channels, employees report higher dissatisfaction and lower engagement (Gallagher, 2022).
- Choose internal communications empowerment over ownership to enable organizational strategy.
- Empowerment starts with the clarity, tools, and capability to communicate effectively and guarantees an exchange downwards and upwards.
Impact and Result
- Craft an effective internal communications strategy with the main purpose to enable the organization to meet its strategic goals.
- Execute the communications strategy by empowering everyone in the organization to communicate effectively. Provide them with the tools, tactics, and messages to drive strategic internal communication.
Employee and Labor Relations
This program has been approved for continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA).
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Build and improve upon the employee and labor relations function in your organization. Balance the priorities of efficiency, equity, and voice to meet the needs of both the employer and employees.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the employment relationship and main stakeholders in both union and non-union environments.
- Describe key processes of employee relations and those specific to labor relations.
- Recall communications best practices to improve the employment relationship.
Workshop: Craft an Internal Communications Strategy
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Define Current State and Determine Communications Goals
- Assess and evaluate internal communications strategy.
- Understand different mediums and their implications.
Key Benefits Achieved
- An understanding of the current state of internal communications.
- Identify ideal mediums of communication.
Identify the strategic direction of the organization.
- Organizational strategy identified.
Develop internal communications objectives.
- Internal communications objectives developed.
- Metrics set.
Evaluate data to identify key insights and themes.
- Data to identify key insights and themes evaluated.
Evaluate communication channel usage and effectiveness.
- Communication channel usage and effectiveness evaluated.
Conduct a SWOT analysis.
- SWOT analysis conducted.
Module 2: Develop the Internal Communications Strategy
- Categorize the target audience groups.
- Identify steps needed to reach internal communications goals.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Defined target audience groups.
- A defined roadmap for achieving internal communications goals.
Segment audience and complete audience profiles.
- Audience segmented and profiled.
Conduct a gap analysis.
- Gap analysis completed.
Identify strategic action items.
- Strategic action items identified.
Define organizational communications principles.
- Organizational communications principles defined.
Review the employee value proposition.
- Employee value proposition reviewed.
Module 3: Customize the Guide and Develop an Action Plan
Prepare to implement and sustain the communications strategy.
Key Benefits Achieved
A plan to roll out the internal communications strategy.
Define key messages.
- Key messages defined.
Develop guidelines for choosing the right medium.
- Guidelines for choosing the right medium developed.
Customize content guide and communications briefings.
- Content guide and communications briefings customized.
Prepare for rollout and management by developing an action plan.
- Action plan developed.