- Organizations face difficulties in establishing policy priorities, struggle with drafting clear policy documents, and lack the proper communication and enforcement policies.
- Misalignment with organizational culture has the highest negative impact on policy effectiveness. In writing and revising policies, organizations must ensure that the existing policies align with the culture.
- Well-managed HR policies ensure things run smoothly and consistently by guiding employees and managers.
- Once effective policies are in place and communicated appropriately, they should reduce employee confusion and uncertainty, which frees up the time that HR would have spent answering questions and dealing with inappropriate behavior.
Impact and Result
- Use McLean & Company’s HR Needs and Priority Assessment Tool to establish your HR policy priorities.
- Draft robust policies using a standard policy framework and following appropriate language guidelines.
- Involve managers and employees in revising policy drafts.
- Ensure all policy documents are communicated properly and stored in an accessible location that is available at any time.
- Include a progressive discipline policy to enforce policies. Make managers responsible for enforcement to ensure fairness and consistency.
HR Policy Management
This program has been approved for 1 to 1.5 continuing professional development (CPD) hours under Section A of the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Log of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA).
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Determine how to effectively prioritize, write, and communicate policies to ensure fairness and consistency.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Explain the difference between a policy, guideline, and procedure.
- Articulate how to identify and prioritize required HR policies.
- Draft an effective policy using the five building blocks.
- Identify appropriate methods to communicate and enforce policies.