- Although leadership development is consistently identified as a top priority for organizations, challenges in measuring its effectiveness make it difficult to pinpoint what is working and what isn’t. This leads to wasted resources on programs that do not result in behavioral change and an overall frustration with leadership development capability.
- Organizations pour money into leadership development programs that are too general or do not sufficiently apply to their circumstances, making it difficult for leaders to apply learnings and improve performance.
- Abandon the idea that one-size-fits-all leadership development programs will meet your organizational needs.
- Build a targeted program rooted in organizational goals in order to drive behavioral change and demonstrate business impact.
Impact and Result
- Create a leadership development program rooted in organizational goals to:
- Make learning contextual and transferable.
- Facilitate measurement in order to demonstrate program effectiveness and inform iteration, to drive business impact.
Manager & Leadership Development
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 5
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Explain the importance of manager and leadership development, and identify appropriate topics and methods for delivering content with consideration for the different levels of leadership.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Make the case for manager and leadership development in their organizations.
- Identify typical expectations and associated learning objectives for different levels of leadership.
- Describe the different types of content delivery typically used in leadership development, and identify the correct blend of methods adhering to the 70-20-10 principle.
- Describe the critical steps involved in implementing a manager or leadership development program.
Workshop: Build Impactful Leadership Development Programs
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Create a Plan for Leadership Development
- Address challenges and risks to determine effective program goals.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Use McLean & Company’s methodology for improving leadership development’s impact.
- Prepare to create a leadership development program.
Set leadership development goals for the organization.
- Created leadership development goals
Review leadership competencies to define leadership in the organization.
- Determined if leadership behaviors or competencies are aligned with organizational goals
Identify risks to leadership development.
- Address program risks
Module 2: Identify Program Needs
Draft learning objectives and begin developing activities.
Key Benefits Achieved
Align learning objectives to competencies.
Use an impact map to create learning objectives.
- Program learning objectives
Identify themes and prioritize learning objectives.
Identify existing leadership development activities in your organization.
- Identified existing learning activities that can be leveraged for the program
Module 3: Build and Implement the Leadership Development Program
- Outline the program.
- Determine an implementation strategy.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Design the leadership development program.
- Plan the program launch.
Determine what new learning activities need to be developed for the program.
- Program learning activities
Map out your leadership development program.
- Map of the leadership development program
Determine the timing of learning activities.
- Leadership Development Playbook
Determine your roll-out strategy.
Determine key messages for program communication.
- Roll-out and communications strategy