- The number of Millennials in the workforce is increasing and will continue to increase as Baby Boomers retire.
- Most organizations struggle to attract, engage, and retain Millennials because of the perception that Millennials are substantially different from previous generations. Very few organizations are actually able to engage Millennials well.
- The engagement of Millennials is key to business success and continuity as organizations will rely more and more on Millennials as Baby Boomers retire.
- Organizations need to improve engagement of Millennials to retain high-performing individuals to remain competitive.
- Managers today frequently complain about the challenges of managing Millennials, yet rigorous empirical studies show that Millennials differ little from previous generations of the same age.
- The differences that do exist create opportunities for HR to enhance their performance.
- Millennials are driven by the same factors as previous generations. Leverage these similarities to develop an engagement plan which will motivate a multi-generational workforce, including the Millennial segment.
Impact and Result
- Using McLean & Company’s Employee Engagement Framework, organizations can improve Millennial engagement at both job and organizational levels.
- Millennials had a different upbringing than the Baby Boomers and Generation X; however, much of what they demand in the workplace will engage the entire workforce, not just their demographic.
- Improving Millennial engagement will result in an increase in the attraction and retention of high-performing Millennial employees.
Workshop: Engage Millennials
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Prepare to Engage
- Identification of misconceptions of Millennials, and discussion surrounding the reality of the workforce.
- Depiction of the generational demographic breakdown of the organization presently and in five years.
- Discuss different methods of measuring engagement and select the most appropriate for the organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A clear understanding of the reality of Millennials to better design an engagement plan tailored to their motivations.
- Clearly highlight the need to tailor engagement to Millennials as they will soon make up a large percentage of the workforce.
- Develop an understanding of how to measure employee engagement, and identify which is the most appropriate for the organization.
Discuss Millennial misconceptions and truths.
Chart the generational breakdown of the business on an organizational chart both presently and in five years.
- A chart which demonstrates the increasing presence and importance of Millennials over the next five years within the organization.
Analysis of the different options to measure engagement, and selection of the most appropriate for the organization.
- Identification of method to measure employee engagement going forward.
Module 2: Improve Engagement
- Review employee job engagement drivers.
- Discuss and select tactics to improve Millennial job engagement.
- Review employee organizational engagement drivers.
- Discuss and select tactics to improve Millennial organizational engagement.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Reviewed job and organizational engagement drivers.
- Selected key job engagement tactics, based on organizational culture and logistics. Developed a high-level implementation plan.
- An understanding of the different job and organizational engagement drivers which together add to overall engagement.
- To clearly highlight the need to tailor engagement to Millennials as they will soon make up a large percentage of the workforce.
- To develop an understanding of how to measure employee engagement, and identify which is the most appropriate for the organization.
Identify how your organization stacks up in terms of development.
- Analysis of the current development opportunities that the organization provides.
Prepare managers with the tools and advice necessary to engage Millennials.
- Customized Manager Training Deck: Engage Millennials.
Brainstorm recognition methods that align with Millennial engagement drivers and organizational culture.
- Selection of recognition methods that will be valued by Millennials.
Develop an engagement plan which incorporates Millennials' preferences, organizational culture, and logistics.
- Selection of job engagement tactics which are appropriate for the organization.
Assign accountability for each Millennial engagement tactic.
- A RACI matrix which outlines who will be responsible for each engagement initiative.
Design an attractive Employee Value Proposition to develop a positive image in the eyes of the Millennials.
- A high-level Employee Value Proposition which will help guide the selection of organizational engagement tactics.
Design an engagement program that aligns with your organization’s Employee Value Proposition and culture.
- A high-level plan to increase employee engagement on an organizational level.