- Onboarding is often confused with orientation and given only superficial treatment.
- Managers play a critical role in onboarding. HR must ensure that managers understand and are prepared to onboard new hires.
- Due to the key role that managers play, new hires’ onboarding experience is often inconsistent across the organization.
- Onboarding starts when the candidate accepts the job offer. It should be a continuation of the candidate experience.
- As with the candidate experience, embed the employee value proposition throughout onboarding to build on new hire enthusiasm and commitment.
Impact and Result
- Implement an onboarding program that addresses all three critical components – orientation, performance management, and development – over a series of months.
- Work with managers to ensure that they are aware of their critical role in onboarding and to ensure a consistent onboarding experience across the organization.
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Design a holistic, impactful onboarding program which moves beyond orientation to acclimate, guide, and develop employees to be successful in the organization.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Synthesize and evaluate onboarding data from multiple sources (onboarding metrics, new hire survey, feedback) to identify areas of strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Acclimate employees to the organization by placing the emphasis not on signing documentation, but on understanding the company’s history and strategy and developing networks within the organization.
- Design a clear process to guide employees by providing clear role expectations, feedback, and coaching.
- Create purposeful development programs to cultivate key competencies for new hires and drive success in their new role.
Workshop: Develop a Comprehensive Onboarding Plan
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Assess Current Onboarding Process
- Identify current practices within the onboarding program.
- Assess the needs of employees and employers.
- Define the problem and opportunities to address it.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Evaluation of the current program and gaps that need to be addressed.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by the organization and new employees.
Brainstorm current onboarding challenges.
- Identified current onboarding challenges.
Map the current onboarding process.
- Illustrated the current onboarding process.
Confirm employer needs.
Identify employee needs.
- Defined employer and employee needs.
Define the problem statement.
- Determined problem statement.
Identify gaps in the onboarding process.
- Outlined current onboarding process and identified gaps.
Module 2: Develop an Onboarding Program
- Identify key onboarding activities.
- Ensure onboarding aligns to and supports the employee value proposition (EVP).
- Create effective and impactful socialization initiatives to best acclimate new hires.
- Form the new hire performance management process.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Onboarding program optimized.
- Acclimate and guide activities for new hires identified.
- Clear onboarding guidelines for managers created.
Examine EVP alignment with onboarding.
- Highlighted EVP alignment in the program.
Update administration activities.
- Recorded administration tasks required.
Identify company information key elements.
Brainstorm socialization activities.
- Identified new acclimate activities.
Identify new hire performance management guidelines.
- Defined guide activities.
Module 3: Create an Action and Communication Plan
- Select relevant development methods for new hires.
- Prepare for the new onboarding program launch.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Establishment of core development practices for new staff.
- A plan to implement the revised program throughout the organization developed.
Review development needs to support new hire success.
- Appraised development needs.
Identify high-impact development initiatives focused on new hires.
- Selected new develop activities.
Identify timing and responsibilities.
- Assigned timing and responsibilities.
Review and customize supporting tools.
- Customized supporting tools.
Create an action and communication plan to prepare to launch new program.
- Created action plan.