- Leaders have left employees to drive their own development without providing direction or support, and without aligning development to organizational needs.
- Organizations position development as employee-owned, yet employees still feel like their needs aren’t being met, and many leave as a result.
- Organizations often have a lot of development opportunities, but don’t connect the right opportunity to the right employee.
- Development needs to be employee-owned and manager-supported, but also organization-informed to ensure that it meets the organization’s needs.
- Today, operating environments change quickly and organizations need to develop the competencies employees need both today and in the future.
Impact and Result
- Design an employee development program that builds the competencies the organization needs both today and in the future.
- Connect the right development opportunity to the right employee through an effective development planning process.
- Equip managers and build program support to foster continuous learning and development.
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Describe how to design an impactful employee development program, from analyzing the organization’s needs, to designing program building blocks, to building program support.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Make the case for an employee development program in their organization.
- Conduct an analysis of the competencies the organization needs today and in the future.
- Define the requirements for designing an employee development program.
- Define the program support required and discuss high-level actions, communications, and metrics to implement the program.
Workshop: Design an Impactful Employee Development Program
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Assess Organizational Needs
- Design an employee-owned, manager-supported, and organization-informed development program.
- Identify goals, opportunities, and challenges associated with employee development planning.
- Establish the employee competencies and segments.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Use McLean & Company’s framework to build an impactful employee development program.
- Gather stakeholder feedback on development planning.
- Competencies prioritized.
- Employee segments selected.
Review organizational strategy and goals.
- Organizational strategy and goals reviewed
Generate insights from other internal data and focus groups.
- Insights gathered from internal data and feedback
Conduct a PESTLE analysis.
- PESTLE analysis completed
Review required competencies.
- Required competencies reviewed
- List of priority competencies needed today and in the future
Identify employee segments (if applicable).
- Employee segments (if applicable)
Module 2: Design the Program
- Choose assessment methods.
- Tailor employee development planning.
- Set follow-up accountabilities for managers and employees.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Assessment method determined.
- Development planning is adapted to employee needs.
- Accountability for development efforts throughout the process have assigned accountabilities.
Identify assessment method(s).
- Assessment method
Review development programs and activities.
- List of required development programs and activities
Customize the employee development planning process.
- Employee development process
Establish manager and employee follow-up accountability.
- Follow-up accountabilities
Module 3: Build Program Support
- Cultivate development resources for managers and employees.
- Align the employee development program with other HR programs.
- Action plan and devise program communications.
- Identify relevant success metrics.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Managers and employees have the support resources needed for development planning.
- HR practices support and align with development practices.
- Key actions and messaging planned.
- Metrics to measure success of the program set.
Brainstorm barriers and mitigation to a learning mindset.
- Barriers to mitigation identified
Equip managers and employees with tools and resources to support employee development.
- Employee and manager resources determined
Integrate employee development with other HR programs.
- Employee development and HR programs integrated
Create an action plan.
- Action plan
Identify key messages for communication.
- Communication plan
Set goals and metrics.
- Goals and metrics