- Human Resources Manager, Construction Machinery and Equipment Company
- Ronald Capelle, President & CEO and Author, Capelle Associates
- Sharon Patterson, Former SVP, Human Resources, Canadian Tire Corporation
- Andrea Peres, Director, Human Resources, Moneris
- Bramora Rebello, Director, Compensation & HR Analytics, Chemtrade Logistics
- Karen Riddell, Director, Talent Strategy & Employee Experience, London Health Sciences Centre
- Richard Sperling, Consultant and Principal, Sperling HR, LLC.
- Naomi Stanford, Organizational Design Consultant
- Stuart Wigham, Director at Wigham Consultancy Services Ltd.
- Tammy Williams, Director, Human Resources, Zappos
- Absence of a standard approach to optimizing span of control (SoC) creates a lot of uncertainty around measurement, analysis, and timing decisions.
- Managers play a significant role in driving engagement. Overlooking engagement decisions in SoC can be risky. The SoC structure must be optimized to leave space for leadership action that improves engagement.
- Span of control isn't a math problem; it is an organizational effectiveness problem. To effectively optimize SoC, organizations must be strategic in aligning SoC with organizational goals in both the short and long term.
- There’s no magic number when it comes to SoC; in order to be agile in the face of rapid change, every organization, business function, or industry requires a structure specific to its unique circumstances, and these may change over time.
Impact and Result
Use McLean & Company’s customized SoC process to effectively prepare to restructure. Complete the SoC Playbook to capture project decisions and data for all iterations of your SoC optimization process, including:
- Collection and analysis of organizational data to identify SoC patterns, extract insights, and determine pain points.
- Assessment of the five critical factors that impact SoC, from both organizational and functional perspectives.
- Review of the various cost-saving scenarios through widening SoC.
- Establishment of high-level SoC parameters to guide customization efforts.
- Tracking of organizational and project metrics.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Determine current SoC
Call #1 - Discuss data collection options.
Call #2 - Review current SoC data to identify patterns and insights.
Guided Implementation #2 - Assess impacts on current SoC
Call #1 - Discuss assessment of impact factors.
Call #2 - Review potential for cost savings.
Guided Implementation #3 - Prepare to deploy initiative