- The high level of detail in job descriptions and lengthy approval processes are incongruent with today’s dynamic environment.
- The evolving nature of work challenges traditional approaches to job descriptions.
- Out-of-date, incomplete, or vague job descriptions lead to confusion, employee disengagement, and increased risk in labor litigation.
- Transform job descriptions into living documents.
- Design a job description template and process that encourage rather than inhibit regular updates.
- Have job descriptions inform regularly occurring manager-employee conversations.
- Create buy-in for your new template and process by providing effective support for managers and building on early successes.
Impact and Result
- Use McLean & Company’s process to select and tailor the right type of template(s) for your organization.
- Simplify the process to ease the burden of creating, updating, and maintaining job descriptions for all stakeholders.
- Turn job descriptions into living documents that managers, HR, and employees find value in.
Workshop: Reconceptualize Job Descriptions
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Establish a Multi-Purpose Template and Develop a Process for Creating and Updating Job Descriptions
- Understand the current job description (JD) process and uncover pain points that create hardship and prevent efficiencies.
- Design tailored JD templates and remodel the JD process.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Use McLean & Company’s job description framework to develop informed JD templates and a sustainable JD process.
Evaluate current JD templates.
- Current JD templates evaluated using role description examples
Pinpoint how JDs can be integrated into other HR functions.
- Integrated JDs that reinforce HR and organizational strategy
Identify employee segments that may need a separate JD template.
- Employee segments with unique JD needs identified
Tailor a JD template.
- Job description template(s)
- Job description process
Evaluate current JD processes.
- Current JD process reviewed and challenges identified
Design new JD processes.
- Updated and structured JD workflow
Module 2: Create an Implementation and Stakeholder Training Plan
- Develop supportive materials for JD stakeholders.
- Begin to plan the JD process launch.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Gain stakeholder buy-in and display JD value with easy-to-use guides and effective training.
Customize launch deck and writing guide.
- Job Description Launch Deck
- Job Description Writing Guide
Develop a launch plan.
- Action plan to implement the streamlined JD process and templates