Contrary to popular belief, widening the span of control by reducing the number of managers does not always correlate to cost savings. Span of control isn't a math problem; it’s an organizational effectiveness problem.
There’s no magic number when it comes to span of control; to be agile in the face of rapid change, organizations must be strategic in aligning span of control with organizational goals in both the short and the long term.
Impact and Result
Use McLean & Company’s customized span of control process to effectively prepare to restructure, including the following activities:
- Collection and analysis of organizational data to identify span of control patterns, extract insights, and determine pain points.
- Assessment of the five critical factors that impact span of control, from both an organizational and a functional perspective.
- Review of the various cost-saving scenarios through widening span of control.
- Establishment of high-level span of control parameters to guide customization efforts.
- Tracking of organizational and project metrics.