- Organizational leaders remain unsatisfied with the performance of their current L&D functions.
- Employees are leaving organizations because they are not receiving the training and development that they were promised when they were hired.
- L&D can’t be all things to all people. It needs to focus on proactively identifying and developing the critical learning needs that will enable the organization to deliver on their strategic objectives.
Impact and Result
- Highly effective HR departments create programs that are deeply aligned with the strategic needs of their organizations. L&D departments need to do the same.
- Involve key stakeholders from the beginning and perform a comprehensive needs analysis to understand the type of support from L&D that would be most valuable.
- Create an L&D framework that details a vision, objectives, primary learning needs, employee groups, core delivery methods, measurement, and governance to ensure that your L&D function has a clearly articulated purpose and roadmap for the future.
Learning & Development Strategy
1 to 1.5 CPD hours per course.
McLean & Company is recognized by SHRM and can award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HR Certification Institute’s® official seal confirms that McLean & Company meets the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of HRCI’s eight credentials, including SPHR® and PHR®.
How to complete this course:
Use these videos, along with the Project Blueprint deck above, to gain an understanding of the subject. Start with the Introduction, then move through each of the Course Modules. At the end of each Module, you will be required to complete a short test to demonstrate your understanding. You will complete this course when you have completed all of the course tests.
- Number of Course Modules: 6
- Estimated Completion Time: 1.5 hours
Explain the process of creating a Learning & Development strategy, with a focus on creating and implementing strategic principles that will guide current and future learning initiatives.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the value a strategically aligned learning function brings to an organization.
- Analyze their own organization to identify learning gaps and needs.
- Explain the different considerations that guide the creation of L&D strategic principles.
- Describe the critical steps involved in implementing an L&D strategy.
Academy L&D Strategy: Introduction: Transform your Learning and Development function from reative to strategic
Academy L&D Strategy: Module 1: Conduct a Needs Analysis
Academy L&D Strategy: Module 2: Define the L&D Framework
Academy L&D Strategy: Module 3: Measurement and Governance
Academy L&D Strategy: Module 4: Identify Critical Gaps
Academy L&D Strategy: Module 5: Create an Action Plan
Workshop: Create a Learning and Development Strategy
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Conduct a Needs Analysis
- Ascertain a vision, objectives, and strategic metrics for L&D.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A defined L&D strategy project vision
Clarify the strategic direction of the organization.
- Organizational strategy clarified
Conduct a SWOT analysis.
- SWOT analysis conducted
Identify insights for learning.
- Major themes and critical issues identified
Create a vision for L&D.
- L&D vision set
Define L&D objectives and identify strategic metrics.
- L&D objectives and strategic metrics established
Module 2: Define the L&D Framework
- Identify the primary learning needs.
- Identify the core delivery method(s).
- Create a standardized measurement approach.
- Identify key accountabilities to form the core of a governance model.
Key Benefits Achieved
- An L&D framework that clearly identifies the desired future state of the learning function
Identify the primary learning needs.
Prioritize the primary learning needs.
- Primary learning needs determined
Identify employee groups and create learner profiles.
- Learner profiles created
Select core delivery methods.
- Core delivery methods chosen
Outline a measurement approach for standardized evaluation.
- Measurement approach for standardized evaluation outlined
Create a governance map.
- Governance map built
Module 3: Create an Action Plan
- Identify gaps between the current state and desired L&D framework.
- Prioritize gaps that will have the most impact.
- Create an action plan to address the priority gaps.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Gaps in the L&D framework are addressed with an impactful strategy and action plan
Examine integration with other HR practices.
- Integration with other HR practices investigated
Identify gaps in L&D portfolio.
- Gaps in L&D portfolio identified
Examine learning infrastructure.
- Learning infrastructure examined
Assess L&D capability.
- L&D capability assessed
- Gaps prioritized
Create an action plan.
- Action plan created