- Claudette Banks, Director, Workforce Strategy, MPAC
- Trish Freshwater, Senior Communications Manager, Talent Acquisition, Sodexo
- N. Robert Johnson, Practice Leader, Workforce Communications
- Drew Railton, Partner, The Caldwell Partners International
- Sophia Tantses, Global Manager, Talent Acquisition & Mobility, SCIEX, a Danaher Company
- Anonymous, HR Expert
- Organizations are facing increased skill shortages due to shifting demographics, new technologies, and evolving industries.
- Failure to prioritize build over buy in the talent acquisition strategy exposes organizations to increased costs from turnover, time to productivity, and external recruitment.
- Employee engagement is significantly reduced when there is a lack of career development and advancement opportunities.
- Optimization lies at the intersection of organizational needs and people needs.
- While external candidates come with experience, internal candidates are committed to the organization and understand the business and culture.
- Leveraging the strengths and abilities of internal candidates can support increased retention and significant cost savings.
Impact and Result
- Identify and evaluate existing programs that impact and support internal talent mobility (ITM).
- Create an internal talent mobility playbook to guide internal talent mobility program development and effectiveness.
- Launch the internal talent mobility program and track success.
1. Make the case for an ITM program
Determine the rationale for proceeding with the ITM project.
2. Evaluate current state of ITM
Identify and define key HR practices and objectives to obtain executive buy-in for ITM.
3. Create ITM playbook
Identify organizational and employee needs to better design and create ITM talent acquisition and deployment practices.
4. Execute ITM program
Prepare to launch the ITM program by developing a communication plan and setting metrics for follow up.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Evaluate current state of ITM
Call #1 - Review the rationale for completing the project and discuss the effectiveness of current ITM practices.
Call #2 - Discuss SWOT analysis outcomes.
Guided Implementation #2 - Create ITM playbook
Call #1 - Review SWP in the context of ITM potential.
Call #2 - Walk through the various internal practices that impact or support ITM.
Guided Implementation #3 - Execute ITM program
Call #1 - Discuss approach for introducing and launching the ITM program.
Call #2 - Review follow-up initiatives and metrics analysis to determine success of the program.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Evaluate Current State of Internal Talent Mobility
- Understand current practices that promote and support internal talent mobility (ITM).
Key Benefits Achieved
- Awareness of current practices and any gaps or weaknesses that may be present.
- Comprehensive understanding of organizational goals in terms of ITM program implementation.
Identify your current practices that support ITM.
- Inventoried current ITM-related practices.
Perform a SWOT analysis based on your current ITM efforts.
- Identified internal and external strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
Set high-level program objectives and update your HR scorecard based on what you hope to achieve.
- Documented high-level program objectives.
Module 2: Create ITM Playbook
- Gain a clear understanding of the needs of the workforce.
- Creation of L&D and talent selection to propel ITM.
- Gathering information to create the ITM playbook.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Modifications required within each relevant internal process are clarified.
- Clear understanding of current talent selection and hiring practices.
- Creation of ITM playbook to support implementation of the ITM program.
Identify employees’ needs.
- Identified the needs of both the organization and its workforce.
Optimize learning and development (L&D) practices to support ITM.
- Expanded L&D practices to better connect to the ITM program.
Design talent selection practices that support optimization of ITM.
- Creation of talent selection practices.
Review hiring practices to support deployment of internal talent.
- Updated hiring practices.
Module 3: Prepare to Execute ITM Program
- Interpret current communication standards and tactics within the company.
- Set metrics and initiatives to drive the ITM program.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Awareness of communication needs for ITM on an organizational level.
- Establishment of metrics that are essential for proper execution of the ITM program.
- Development of follow-up procedures for effective advancement of the ITM program.
Brainstorm communication messages and tactics.
- Developed communication tactics; you are ready for implementation.
Define metrics for your ITM program.
- Identified relevant program metrics.
Customize follow-up initiatives.
- Prepared for launch of the program.