Managers either don’t see the value of employee development planning or find it an onerous process and therefore don’t make time for it, causing employees to feel underappreciated and disengaged.
- If managers do make time for development planning, they think about it from a formal training perspective and fail to consider the many other, more effective, on-the-job forms of development.
- Although employee development scored as the third-highest priority in the McLean & Company 2015 HR Trends & Priorities Report, its effectiveness ranking sits at 26 out of 31 HR areas.
- Employees with high development scores are 4.9 times more satisfied with their jobs than those with low development scores.
- In McLean & Company’s engagement survey, only 49% of employees felt they were encouraged to pursue career development activities.
Impact and Result
- Effective employee development focuses on having meaningful discussions with employees. Use the McLean & Company employee development planning framework to incorporate ongoing, continuous feedback in a less onerous, more manageable way:
- Employee drafts their development goals based on manager’s feedback.
- Manager and employee review development goals and agree on 3-4 goals.
- Manager provides continual feedback and coaching.
- Monthly check-in meetings are held to assess progress on goals and provide feedback.
Workshop: Implement Effective Employee Development Planning
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Prepare for Effective Employee Development Planning
- Discuss and identify opportunities and challenges associated with employee development planning.
- Explore the benefits of implementing a development planning framework that is effective and efficient; identify relevant metrics to measure organizational success.
- Review the McLean & Company development planning framework.
- Understand employee and manager accountabilities within the development planning process.
- Establish the development planning document content to capture and measure employees’ success.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understand issues to influence stakeholder buy-in for organization-wide development planning.
- Understanding of the McLean & Company development planning framework and how to use it.
- Commitment to information to capture in support of measuring employees’ progress towards goal attainment.
Identify employee development challenges
- Understanding of the challenges faced with having an ineffective or non-existent development planning process and the potential solutions to address these challenges.
Module 2: Implement Effective Employee Development Planning
- Learn how to create development goals.
- Explore development methods in the context of a 70-20-10 mix.
- Learn the McLean & Company 3Cs Feedback model.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Improved goal-setting competencies.
- Improved awareness of development method impact on development goal attainment.
- Managers learning how to give meaningful feedback in a way that will support employees’ on-going development.
- Employees and managers owning their role in the process.
Goal setting using SMART principles
- Learn and build confidence with a goal-setting model that supports organization integration.
Explore 70-20-10 mix of development methods
- Learn how to give feedback that encourages development and growth.
Identify & evaluate development methods by goal
- Improved ability to align development methods with goals for optimum results.