Design a Pre-Hire Test to Select the Best
Test competencies, not personality, to select quality candidates.
Poor or non-existent pre-hire tests can result in:
- Bad hires.
- Direct and indirect costs from bad hires.
- Time wasted by HR and hiring managers.
Developing a competency-based pre-hire test results in:
- Improved quality of hires.
- A more standardized and consistent hiring process.
- Decreased time wasted on pursuing clearly inappropriate candidates.
- Increased understanding for HR and managers of what makes a successful hire.
Module 1: Assess the Environment to Develop the Pre-Hire Test
- Understand the rationale for developing a competency-based pre-hire test.
- Learn what key elements of talent acquisition are required for a pre-hire test to be developed.
- Set up a design team.
- Identify competencies to be tested for.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Project buy-in and support from stakeholders.
- Understanding of what elements are in place or missing for the pre-hire test to be successful.
- An assembly of experts to develop the test.
- Competencies to base the test design and development on.
|1.1||Determine the impact of bad hires.||
|1.2||Brainstorm how pre-hire testing can help reduce the negative impact of bad hires.||
|1.3||Identify barriers to success and start developing solutions.||
|1.4||Determine what basic elements you need.||
|1.5||Assess whether your current pre-hire test is optimizing or undermining.||
|1.6||Finalize the stakeholders that will contribute pre-hire testing.||
|1.7||Determine the purpose of pre-hire testing.||
|1.8||Select the competencies to be included in the pre-hire test.||
|1.9||Plan for resources.||
Module 2: Develop and Implement the Pre-Hire Test
- Design the pre-hire test.
- Validate the pre-hire test.
- Build the plan to implement the test.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Content built for the pre-hire test.
- Plan for how to ensure validity of the pre-hire test.
- Well-integrated pre-hire test within the talent acquisition process.
|2.1||Determine what components of competencies will be tested.||
|2.2||Select the type of pre-hire test.||
|2.3||Decide to develop in-house or outsource and develop questions and activities.||
|2.4||Set the plan for validating your pre-hire test.||
|2.5||Incorporate the selection process into your pre-hire test.||
|2.6||Plan for how to communicate testing to candidates for a positive experience.||