- Angela Sinickas, Owner & Founder, Sinickas Communications Inc. www.sinicom.com/
- Jim Shaffer, Principal, The Jim Shaffer Group
- Lisa Harlow, CHRO, CoastHills
- Lori Woods, Senior Training & Organizational Development Analyst, Placer County
- Mona Najib, HR Manager, LeasePlan USA
- Nicole La Rocque, Senior Communications Manager, SNL Finanical
- Sally Klauss, Training Analyst, Placer County
- Stephanie Caraway, General Manager - Human Resources & Risk Management, Sanden International (USA), Inc.
- Vivian Herrera, HR Manager, Brinks
- Anonymous, Senior Manager, HR Strategy & Communication, Financial Services
- Anonymous, Organizational Development Communications Specialist, Public Service
- Anonymous, HR Manager, Financial Services
- The rapid rate of communication combined with the increase in verbal and written channels puts increased demand on managers to consider the communication process.
- Direct reports are dispersed across domestic and international sites, representing multiple cultures and generations, straining communications.
- Communication context considerations are more complex in the workplaces of today, challenging managers to “think before they speak” like never before.
- Context frames the purpose of communication. It is intent, word choice, speed of speech, body language, and intonation.
Impact and Result
- Identify where these complexities exist in your organization.
- Establish clear guidelines on effective and appropriate use of communication channels.
- Increase awareness and train managers to successfully navigate these increased complexities. Training components include:
- Effective communication and why it matters.
- Changing workplace and impact on communication.
- Model communication culture and values.
1. Assess current communication effectiveness
Determine the overall effectiveness of manager communications and identify areas of strength and opportunity.
2. Customize the manager training deck
Customize the manager training deck to align with characteristics of the five key elements in the organization.
3. Deliver manager training
Plan training logistics, effectiveness metrics, and a post-training action plan.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Assess current communication effectiveness
Call #1 - Discuss assessment questionnaire results and prepare for focus groups.
Call #2 - Review data to prioritize strengths and opportunity areas in manager communications.
Guided Implementation #2 - Customize the manager training deck
Call #1 - Clarify the elements of effective communication and considerations for your organization.
Call #2 - Walk through the training deck customization requirements.
Guided Implementation #3 - Deliver manager training
Call #1 - Discuss training options to determine most appropriate approach.
Call #2 - Review measurements of training success and follow-up action planning considerations.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Assess current communication effectiveness
- Discuss the importance of effective manager communication.
- Review organizational, team, and individual barriers.
- Review assessment data and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Define HR’s role in manager communications.
- Identify five communication elements.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A comprehensive understanding of the organizational, team, and individual barriers that impede communication.
- Assessed overall effectiveness of manager communication.
- Conducted focus groups with managers and employees.
Review assessment data and identify areas of opportunity.
- Identified three strengths and three opportunity areas.
Module 2: Customize the manager training deck
- Define organization communication culture
- Review verbal and written communication channels
- Discuss virtual communications
- Discuss cultural awareness
- Define global mindset
- Review generational considerations
- Discuss social styles
- Define Employee Value Proposition
- Discuss when in-person is the only way
Key Benefits Achieved
- Customized manager training deck for the organization
- Customized training deck to align with organization communication culture and Employee Value Proposition
Customize to align with communication culture
- Defined the behavioral elements consistent with organization communication culture
Customize to reflect communication channels
- Confirmed advantages and disadvantages or organizational communication channels
Virtual communication challenges activity
- Defined virtual challenges and mitigation tactics
Global mindset activity
- Defined global characteristics relevant to the organization
Identify generation profile activity
- Mapped generational profile to organizational chart