Transform the 9-Box Talent Assessment
Take the 9-box from a yearly tick-box exercise to a dynamic assessment that reveals hidden talent and boosts performance from every employee.
- When used inappropriately, the 9-box can become a tick-box exercise that hinders employee development.
- The 9-box loses its efficacy when the assessments used to fill out the grid are inaccurate, when biases are not corrected, when managers use different standards for assessment, and when the 9-box is not translated into development opportunities that connect to organizational goals.
- The success of the 9-box depends crucially on what comes before and after: assess employees accurately before plotting the grid, and create development plans for every employee afterward to bring out their best contribution to your organization.
- Move toward open, honest, and collaborative talent assessment. Invite employees to work together with managers and to assess themselves, and discuss potential and growth opportunities so that employees feel empowered to act, rather than apprehensive about being assessed.
Impact and Result
- Transform the 9-box into a strategic tool by improving the quality of assessments that go into plotting employees on the grid, by making group calibration a regular priority, and by creating development plans that bring out the best in every employee.
- Anonymous contributor, Senior Specialist, Talent Management, Health Care
- Nicky Dries, Assistant Professor of Organizational Behavior, Leuven University
- Jenna Filipkowski, Director of Research, HCI
- Anita Gouveia, Learning and Development Manager, Panalpina
- Jackie Guisti, Manager of Talent Planning and Development, Learning Care Group
- Charles Handler, Talent Assessment Thought Leader, Founder, RocketHire
- JR Keller, Assistant Professor of Human Resource Studies, Cornell University
- Chris King, Talent Management Advisor, Devon Canada Corp
- Kim Lazerus, VP of Talent Management, Maverik Inc.
- Suzanne Niles, SVP of HR, Hudson’s Bay Company
- Debra Ogston, CHRO, Watts Water Technologies
- Mitch Romanchook, People Development Manager, City of Richmond
- Paul Sparrow, Professor of Management, Lancaster University
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Identify talent needs and priorities
Identify emerging organizational talent needs and outline an organizational talent philosophy.
Customize and enhance the 9-box
Customize the 9-box grid and choose additional assessment tools such as self-assessments.
Assess talent, calibrate, and continue talent conversations
Communicate changes in the process to managers and train them to assess employees while conducting the talent calibration meeting.
Develop talent using assessment results
Determine effective development activities for every talent level and facilitate employee–manager discussion dialogues to create individual development plans.
Integrate and measure assessment
Integrate chosen talent assessment into existing HR practices and select the appropriate metrics to track to measure success.
Module 1: Identify Talent Needs and Customize Your Talent Grid
- Outline talent needs, strategic roles and the organizational talent philosophy.
- Create a customized 9-box talent assessment anchored in organizational goals.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Strategic 9-box talent grid outlined
- Project roles and methodology defined
|1.1||Identify strategic functional areas||
|1.2||Assess talent and identify strategic roles.||
|1.3||Craft your organizational philosophy.||
|1.4||Evaluate alternative criteria.||
|1.5||Brainstorm measurement and assessment methods.||
|1.6||Finalize talent grid labels and definitions.||
Module 2: Pilot and Prepare Your Customized Grid
- Pilot the 9-box talent grid.
- Train managers on use of the 9-box talent grid.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Manager buy-in of new talent assessment process and enactment plan developed
|2.1||Define who the talent grid will be used to assess.||
|2.2||Pilot the customized grid.||
|2.3||Develop a communications strategy.||
|2.4||Customize your manager training deck.||
|2.5||Finalize the talent review and calibration meeting process.||
Module 3: Outline Talent Development Programs and Integrate Assessment
- Launch the transformed 9-box talent assessment.
- Assess the 9-box talent assessment performance.
- Measure its success and areas for improvement.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Integration of a dynamic talent assessment process.
- 9-box talent assessment reviewed and improvements made.
|3.1||Incorporate talent grid results into your development and talent planning process.||
|3.2||Brainstorm talent management integration.||
|3.3||Measure talent management success.||
|3.4||Plan next steps.||