Leverage & Optimize Social Media for Recruiting
If your organization's applicant pool uses social media, use social media to recruit.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: October 5, 2010
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Social media is a recruiting tool that many recruiters know they should use, but aren't sure how.
- Social media seems like a time and labor intensive venture, requiring resources many organizations cannot spare.
- Organizations must have a presence on social media before it is needed to supplement the recruiting process, or efforts will be wasted on a sparse network that yields little return.
- Organizations must use social media to recruit or risk losing competitive advantage. It is difficult to attract new talent with old recruiting methods.
- Use the social media platform that the majority of your target applicant pool uses – not what is most comfortable. Start with this primary platform, and once strategies are tried and true, move on to secondary and tertiary platforms.
- Implementing social media as a recruiting tool is not a major organizational project. A few key strategy points, the use of a project charter, and consideration of overall recruiting objectives set a social media recruiting campaign up for success.
Impact and Result
- Prepare or enhance the organizational strategy for using social media to recruit top talent and maintain competitive advantage.
- Optimize social media platforms and posting strategies to recruit efficiently and effectively.
- Use standard recruiting metrics to measure the success of the social media recruiting campaign.
- Sun Life Financial
- The Source
- 107 other organizations contributed information to assist with the development of this solution set through survey completion and interviews. Due to the sensitivity of the information, all contributors requested confidentiality.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.
BONUS Get access to an additional free downloadDownload Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Use social media in the overall recruiting strategy.
Tap into applicant pools that rely on social media to learn about organizations and opportunities.
Understand the process of implementing social media for recruiting.
Ensure a sound strategy and the most efficient use of time.
Create a strategy for planning and implementing social media for recruiting.
Leverage internal expertise, keep the project on track, and delegate responsibility.
Analyze the cost of using social media as a recruiting tool.
Determine the level of time and financial investment needed.
Create policies surrounding the acceptable use of social media for business purposes.
Reduce the risk of using social media and increase the accountability of those administering it.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Craft a Departmental Candidate Sourcing Plan
Define an Employer Brand
Promote the Employer Brand
Assess if Recruitment Process Outsourcing is Right for the Organization
Evaluate & Optimize the Social Media Recruiting Plan
Develop a Social Analytics Program
Use Flexible Work Arrangements and Time off to Attract and Retain Top Talent
Perform a Holistic Talent Acquisition Process Audit to Improve Hiring Outcomes
Optimize the Interviewing Process
Implement a Successful Employee Referral Program