Retain Talent by Mastering the Compensation Discussion
Mother always said: don't talk about religion, politics, or how much you make. Let's prove Mom wrong.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: March 16, 2011
- Direct reports will ask their manager about their compensation.
- Managers will fail at these discussions if they don’t have all the information they need to satisfy their direct reports.
- Failing at these discussions leads to confusion, rumors, anger and escalating employees to flight-risk status.
- Every discussion about compensation must have the correct level of formality, transparency and consistency.
- Including these elements makes every discussion about compensation successful and builds trust between the employee and the organization through their manager.
- Without formality, transparency and consistency compensation will become a misunderstood point of contention for all within your organization.
Impact and Result
- Refocus and retain your direct reports by balancing their perspective of your organization’s compensation policy.
Get to Action
Create a balanced perspective of compensation
Refocus and retain direct reports.