Develop a Telework Program
Expand employee work options to increase employee engagement and performance results.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: March 13, 2012
- Succeeding and retaining top talent can be very difficult, regardless of the economic environment.
- The cost of conducting business is on the rise, and so are the environmental implications involved in maintaining office space.
- Organizations want to appeal to the work-life balance demands of today’s workforce, while still keeping business priorities at the forefront of their decision-making.
- Many organizations believe that telework will hinder productivity and performance, while in reality it can bring the business many benefits.
- Telework cannot be ignored; top talent demands it, and the nature of today’s workforce provides many opportunities for it to be integrated.
- Without support from senior executives and managers, and the existence of a results-oriented work environment, telework can be difficult to implement due to the negative repercussions it can create for teleworking employees or departments.
- However, with the right work environment and job elements in place, there is a great opportunity for organizations to embrace telework, engage employees, and save costs over the long term.
- HR can build a successful telework program to support this growing trend, protect the organization, and maintain performance standards.
Impact and Result
- Optimize your telework program by introducing a comprehensive policy and employee agreement to ensure everyone has a shared understanding of expectations.
- Improve the retention, engagement, and acquisition of top talent by providing workplace flexibility for appropriate jobs and employees.
- Take the guesswork out of telework adoption with clear criteria and guidelines for telework eligibility and performance management.
- In January of 2012, McLean & Company conducted six in-depth interviews with line of business managers, executives, teleworking employees, and a work-life balance scholar to learn about their teleworking experiences and research.
- During the same timeframe, McLean & Company fielded a survey to better understand specific teleworking trends. The survey attracted 72 respondents.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Learn how telework can benefit your organization, improve employee effectiveness, reduce organizational costs, and increase employee engagement
Implement a telework program that suits your organizational and departmental needs best.
Determine if your organization or department is ready for telework opportunities
Decide whether or not to proceed with the implementation of a formal telework program.
Create a telework policy for the entire organization, or a department within your organization
Ensure all employees and managers know the acceptable criteria and rules of engagement that govern telework in your organization or department.
Define a telework agreement for individual teleworking employees
Ensure that employees and managers communicate important details that maintain performance expectations, employee engagement, and communication essentials.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Develop a Departmental Strategic Workforce Plan
Implement a Job Rotation Program to Engage and Develop the Workforce
Mitigate the Risk of Retirement with Scalable Succession Planning
Optimize the Global Talent Mobility Program
Plan for a Heterogeneous Workplace by 2020
Develop a Diversity and Inclusion Framework
Establish an Enterprise-Wide Career Path Framework