Develop a Comprehensive Competency Framework
Leverage the single most important tool for driving key HR functions.
- Competency frameworks are an integral part of many HR functions such as performance management, employee development, identification of future leaders, and recruiting.
- Competencies help set performance standards and build consistency throughout the organization.
- Designing and implementing a competency framework can be extremely difficult and time consuming.
- Competency frameworks produce an ROI of at least 50% (Source: Workitect).
- Modifying pre-developed competencies can save you time and help you develop a more comprehensive competency framework.
Impact and Result
- Maximize the success of your competency framework by knowing the difference between core, functional, and leadership competencies.
- Use pre-developed competencies and modify them in order to suit your unique organizational needs; you don’t have to re-invent the wheel.
- Support your competency framework through annual reviews to keep it up to date.
- Alexander Zverintsev; Senior Research Analyst, Info-Tech Research Group
- Andy Woyzbun; Executive Advisor, Info-Tech Research Group
- Anthony Papa; Vice President Human Resources, Meridian Lightweight Technologies
- Doug Rozon; Director of Marketing, Sun Products Corporation
- Dr. Bob Saggers; President of Robert Saggers & Associates, Learning-Leadership Consultants Inc. and adjunct professor at McGill University
- Erin Casey, CPA, CA; Assistant Controller & Associate, Dillon Consulting Limited
- Huw Morgan; VP of Research Strategy, Info-Tech Research Group
- Jason Crichton; Sales Director, Info-Tech Research Group
- Jon Holt; co-author of A Pragmatic Guide to Competency: Tools, Frameworks and Assessment
- Mark Tanning; Senior Director of Learning, Development & Talent Management, University of Minnesota Physicians
- Mary Esteves; Nova Consulting
- Michael Taylor; Marketing Professor, Western Ivey Business School
- Michelle Berry; Director of Human Resources, Global Customer Service and Marketing, OpenText
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Make the case for developing a competency framework
Understand the value and impact of implementing a comprehensive competency framework.
Prepare to build a competency framework
Realize the components of a competency framework and the options for how to build one.
Select and modify pre-developed competencies
Begin by analyzing McLean & Company’s pre-developed competencies and modify them as needed for the organization.
Follow the steps to build the organization's competencies, either alongside modified pre-developed competencies or completely from scratch.
Implement the competency framework
Realize the framework throughout the whole HR department and organization.
Support the competency framework
Evaluate and support the framework to ensure it continues to align with organizational needs.
Module 1: Design Your Competency Framework
- Workshop introduction.
- Introduction ot the components of a competency framework.
- Gain stakeholder buy-in.
- Select, modify, or create your own competencies.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Estimated project length and cost.
- Plan to get stakeholder buy-in.
- Completed core competency framework content and design.
- Completed functional and leadership competencies.
|1.1||Develop core competencies.||
|1.2||Select and modify functional and leadership competencies.||
|1.3||Discuss competency themes.||
|1.5||Create behavior-based proficiency statements.||
Module 2: Implement and Support Your Competency Framework
- Prioritize competency themes and develop behavior-based proficiency statements.
- Develop integration and implementation plan.
- Develop evaluation and support mechanisms.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Fully completed competency framework with all three categories.
- Integration plan to use the framework throughout your HR department.
- Implementation and support plan backed by evaluations.
|2.1||Assess impact of implementation.||
|2.2||Develop implementation plan.||
|2.3||Integrate your framework into all of HR.||
|2.4||Plan for evaluation.||
|2.5||Plan for continual support.||
Search Code: 56833
Published: October 23, 2012
Last Revised: April 8, 2015